This morning I was struck by something I spotted in the Bible: ” . . . and bread to strengthen man’s heart” (Psalm 104:15). As I thought about bread as it once was – “the staff of life” as it used to be known – it occurred to me just how true that Biblical statement is!
In its original state, the nutrients in whole grain bread really would keep the heart strong and the circulation system working correctly. In modern times, however, in order to keep bread lasting longer, Vitamin E, Lecithin, and the Omega 3 fatty acids are removed from the wheat when it is processed into with white flour.
- Modern scientific research has highlighted vitamin E’s benefits for the cardiovascular system.
- A diet rich in lecithin can increase good HDL cholesterol and lower bad LDL cholesterol.
- Omega 3 fatty acids can lower blood pressure, reduce blood clotting, decrease irregular heartbeat and the risk of heart failure and stroke
Of course each of the above nutrients also has health benefits throughout the body – not just for the heart!
Also removed in the milling process are minerals and trace element such as magnesium, manganese, chromium, zinc, selenium.
- Magnesium is essential for the relaxation of blood vessels and the action of the heart muscle.
- Manganese is a known vasodilator, which means it helps enlarge veins to efficiently carry blood around the body.
- Adequate manganese levels in the body increase blood flow and decrease the risk of strokes.
- Low chromium levels were linked to an increased risk of heart attacks: the lower the level, the higher the risk.
- Zinc deficiency has a detrimental effect on heart muscle.
- Low selenium levels have been linked to an increased risk of heart disease
God made bread to strengthen the heart! And each of the above minerals also has health benefits throughout the body – not just for the heart! Bread is just one of the many examples of how God designed His Creation to take care of us. But numerous natural, organically-grown, unprocessed foods contain health-enhancing nutrients and are a testament to our Creator God’s provision for us.
Sadly, white bread not only fails
to provide these vital nutrients
it also creates havoc in the body: